Classic Caesar Salad is one of my all time favourite salad. I love it is simple and taste good with the white dressing. It is always good to eat it with any crispy anchovy or calamari. For people who are on diet plan, you may grill / bake the anchovy instead of deep fried.
Below is the Classic Caesar Salad recipe as suggested by Martha Stewart. I did a little adjustment based on my own preference. I added more anchovies and croutons if I feel like having more crispy bite.
Time: 20 mins
Difficult level: easy
Ingredients to prepare for the Croutons:
(alternative: you can get the ready-made crouton from any grocery store)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
(alternative: you can get the ready-made dressing from any grocery store and add in more parmesan cheese)
- 20 ounces romaine lettuce, outer leaves discarded, inner leaves washed and dried
Step by step:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine the butter and olive oil in a large bowl. Add the cubes of bread, and toss until coated. Sprinkle with salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper; toss until evenly coated. Spread the bread in a single layer on a 12-by-17-inch baking sheet. Bake until croutons are golden, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Salt the anchovies and coat it with some plain flour. Prepare some oil to deep fried the anchovies into golden brown and set aside.
- Place the garlic, anchovy fillets, and salt in a wooden salad bowl. Using two dinner forks, mash the garlic and 2 anchovies into a paste. Using one fork, whisk in the pepper, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and egg yolk. Whisk in the olive oil.
- Chop the romaine leaves into 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces. Add the croutons, crispy anchovies, romaine, and cheese to the bowl, and toss well. If you wish, grate extra cheese over the top. Serve immediately.